About Me

My photo
A college created blog that shall follow all the courses I undertake on my apprenticeship. Comical, and terribly cringe-worthy mishaps are inevitable.

Friday 2 September 2011

Unit 4, 1.4 "The impact of different behaviours and conduct in the workplace."

Unit 4, 1.4 - "Explain the impact of different behaviours and conduct in the workplace."


Whether you notice it or not, the way you carry yourself at work, and the mood that you are in, can have an impact on the people surrounding you.

If you are slumped over in your chair, grimacing as you type away, well, it is pretty obvious then that you are not in a good mood.

If you come into the office with a bright face and a positive attitude, it's easy for everyone to lock onto this mentality.  

Generally, it is nice to work in an office environment, or any kind of working environment, where it is at least a little bit pleasant. 

Having a nice atmosphere in the office improves your mood and everyone else's mood, and ultimately, the way that you conduct yourself in the workplace and the way that you perform your daily tasks. 


(Next section reprinted from Unit 5)



The impact of different behaviours and conducts in the workplace can have a knock back affect on everyone. We try to avoid bringing our down-and-out moods into the workplace, but sometimes it is unavoidable and many conflicts can arise from this. 

Note for this example I’m going to change the names of the people involved in the situation.

Recently, I came across Martin, who was dissatisfied with the service he was receiving from another colleague, Sarah, working on the film we were shooting.

The colleague in question had family issues and couldn’t return to work for a few weeks, and she was the only person who could deal with Martin’s problems. I told Martin I would do my best to contact Sarah (sending her emails/ringing her up), but that is all I could do.

I went about trying to get in contact with Sarah, and found, when I rung her up, I caught her at a really bad time. Doing so put me in a bad position (this could be looked upon as being ‘unprofessional’) but this was the only way that I could resolve the situation – by getting in contact with her

When I spoke to Martin, I informed him that I spoke to Sarah and that she would be in by the end of the week, (though it wasn’t 100% certain this was going to happen).

I completely understood Martin’s situation, but since this was something that was out of my hands and I couldn’t deal with personally, I had to give him as many contact numbers and emails as possible for people that possibly might have been able to help. 

In the end, I managed to get in contact with one of our companies contacts who then took on board Martin’s case and tried to resolve it the best they could.

Situations like these, I’ve found, arise a lot when working in a production company. Particularly when people are away and you are the only one to deal with their request, knowing that you can’t deal with it personally is aggravating sometimes. You want to help out the person in need as best as you can, but when you don’t have the information or the means to do so, then it is practically impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment