About Me

My photo
A college created blog that shall follow all the courses I undertake on my apprenticeship. Comical, and terribly cringe-worthy mishaps are inevitable.

Tuesday 26 July 2011

I'm Technically Rather Good!


Because I wasn't one of the cast in our DiVA Viral Marketing Campaign, my role was very-much more of a hands-on process, particularly when it came to shooting the actual video.

Though the video was a team effort, we all had to direct ourselves at some point, and as the first person on the camera, I think I managed myself fairly well in getting all the opening shots we needed, (up until the point when there is a close-up of Jemel, who then says his first line.)

I had to make sure the white balance, the framing and the lighting was on-point for the shots we needed to take, otherwise we wouldn't have been able to capture the vision we had on paper and relay them to the screen.

In the editing room, the opening, I believe, is the strongest part of the video. The cutaway clips that are in our final cut, work really well thanks to the editing of Robert, and the shots that we managed to film.



Along with shooting the first few shots that include several cutaways of Jemel, I also handled the sound, and made sure that the sound was pitch-perfect for the video, as, in particular for the beginning where the paper is being thrown, it was vital this was the only sound that could be heard.


Later on in the editing room, this same sound was continued for when Robert jumps into view, and without this attention to detail with the design of the sound, we wouldn't have been able to use this for the video, and there would have been lack of continuitity without this sound. 

On top of this, because Robert was the director of the video, I made sure that he was happy with the shots I was taking, but also gave my own opinion on certain sections.

While the rest of the team carried out the final shots of the video, Deri and I, with suggestions made by the group on the choice of music, then found the appropriate free of copyright soundtrack for the short, which included the flushing of a toilet noise, and a superhero theme for Apprentice Man.  

Then, we gathered the team to listen to these suggestions,and as a group, we decided what music would make the final cut from the list that Deri and I presented. 



Through this experience, I have gathered the basic knowledge of shooting, lighting, and editing a video, in a short period of time. 

Looking forward to putting all this knowledge back into action!

No comments:

Post a Comment